Velkommen på siden til Det tyske utenriksministeriet

Pass til barn (0-12 år), ikke biometrisk (information in English)

Sur la photo, on voit un petit garçon en train de voyager avec une grosse valise et un globe en guise de ballon sous le bras.

Déplacements de mineurs, ©

30.08.2022 - Artikkel

German citizens with residence in Norway may apply for a passport at the German Embassy in Oslo. The parents or legal guardians need to apply for the child’s passport.

Children’s passports are non-biometric and can only be issued for children until the age of 12. Please note: The child’s passport is valid for a period of 1 year only (new regulation since 01.01.2021). Should your child be 12 or older, please refer to the information regarding the biometric passport for minors.

If you are applying for the first German passport of your child, you may have to complete a Name declaration. Please refer to our German pages for more information, as these pages are not yet available in English.


In order to process an application for a child’s passport, the following documents are required (as originals).

  • completed application form (see “Downloads”)
  • birth certificate of the child
  • 1 recent biometric passport photo (see sample photo in “Downloads”). Please note: There is no photo booth available at the embassy. If you apply at an Honrary Consul you have to bring 2 photographs.
  •  for both parents and child: the Register Printout [norw. Utskrift av registrerte opplysninger] from the Norwegian National Registry.
    Order the Register Printout by following this link.
  • signed Statement of consent of both parents (page 2 of the Application Form).
  • if applicable, deregistration of last place of residence in Germany (“Abmeldebescheinigung”) of parents and/or minor
  • if applicable, a retention permit to retain German Citizenship and proof of acquisition of Norwegian citizenship
  • passports of both parents.
  • previous passport/child's passport (data page with photo)
  • Passport fee, paid with Visa / Mastercard

Additionally, married parents will need to submit:

  • parents' marriage certificate
  • certificate of the name declaration of spouses
  • if the parents do not have a common married name in accordance with German naming law, a certificate about the validity of a name declaration (“Bescheinigung über die Namensführung”) issued by a German civil registry office, is required for the child. More information on Name Declaration / Naming law.

Additionally, unmarried parents will need to submit:

  • Proof of acknowledgement of paternity (from Norway: certified copy from Skatt Nord in Hammerfest)
  • Statement of Consent of the mother
  • certificate about the validity of a name declaration (“Bescheinigung über die Namensführung”), issued by a German civil registry office, or the German birth certificate, in case the child does not have the surname of the mother. More information on Name Declaration / German naming law.
  • Additionally, divorced parents will need to submit
  • Legally binding divorce decree with information regarding custody

If you do not bring all of the required forms and supporting documentation for your child's passport application, you may be required to reschedule your appointment and there will be a delay in processing the application. In some cases, additional documents (i.e. decree of divorce, adoption papers, naturalization certificate) might be required.


As a rule, the passport for children must be applied for in person at the Embassy in the company of one of the parent (or guardian). The parent must present the signed consent and a passport copy. of the non-present parent. We kindly ask you to book your appointment only when the aforementioned documents are complete, thereby assisting us in reducing waiting time.

Please press here to receive information about our booking system and to book your appointment

Validity and processing time

After examining the completed application, the processing time for the child’s passport is no longer than a few minutes. Please note that the embassy does not have the capacity to examine whether your documents are complete beforehand, neither orally nor by mail.

The child’s passport is valid for a period of 1 year only (new regulation since 01.01.2021).

Additional information

The new passport can be sent to you by registered mail (rekommandert post) if you do not wish to pick it up in person when it arrives at the Embassy. If this is the case, we ask that you bring an envelope prepared with 220 NOK in stamps and your home address. The envelope should not be larger than DIN B5 (17,6 x 25 cm, max. 2 cm thin)

Information on registered mail from Posten Norge.

This information refers to the majority of the cases occurring here. Due to the complexity of the German passport and German ID law and the diversity of possible scenarios, differences may occur in each application, and additional documentation could be required as needed.

In proven cases of emergency, a temporary passport can be issued in conjunction with a simultaneous normal passport application. Please send us all required documents together with a proof of emergency (i.e. booking confirmation, doctor's note) in advance by e-mail to The temporary passport can only be issued if the passport application is deemed to be complete. As soon as we can see that all required documents are prepared, we will do our best to accommodate you at the shortest possible convenience.

PLEASE NOTE: some countries do not accept the temporary passport as valid travel document. We therefore recommend you to check the travel-and-safety information for the country you are traveling to.

If you need documents or printouts from Germany, please refer directly to the public office in question. The public offices at your last place of residence in Germany will be responsible. Most public offices will allow you to order the documents from their website to be sent per mail to your address in Norway. The Embassy cannot order documents for you.

In order to apply for Norwegian documents and printouts, please use the following link to the Norwegian public offices:

If you ever lived in Germany, we will need your deregistration / Abmeldebescheinigung. This applies even if you haven't lived in Germany for a considerable amount of time. The deregistration can be ordered from the public office from your last place of residence in Germany.

You won't need to profess a deregistration / Abmeldebestätigung if you have never been registered in Germany.

Please note that all documents which are not written in German, English or Norwegian will need to be accompanied by a translation from an authorized translator. Documents issued outside of Norway or another CIEC member state need to be accompanied by an Apostille / Certification. Please refer to our German pages for more information on the Apostille, as this page is not yet available in English.


Tilbake til toppen av siden