Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

EU Blue Card - national visa (Section 18g Residence Act)

06.02.2024 - Artikel

As a skilled worker with a university degree recognized in Germany, you will be issued an EU Blue Card if the employment you want to take up matches your professional qualifications and you can present

  1. for „Große Blaue Karte“: a gross annual salary of at least 45.300,- € (in 2024),
  2. for bottleneck professions and new entrants to the labour market (people who have graduated from university within the last three years): a gross annual salary of at least 41.041,80 € (in 2024).
  3. IT specialists can apply for a Blue Card if they have at least 3 years of comparable professional experience even though they do not hold an academic degree.

Here you can find general information on the EU Blue Card is available on the portal for qualified professionals.

Required documents:

Please make sure to prepare a complete set of the following documents (collated in the order as listed below with a legible, unstapled copy in DinA4 format) to submit during your appointment:

  • Fully completed and signed application including declaration pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act
  • 2 recent biometric passport photo (see specimen photos)
  • Valid passport with at least two completely empty pages
  • 1 uncertified copy of the data page of your valid passport
  • Norwegian residence permit (card) – original + 1 copy (front and back)
  • Proof of address in Norway: Printout from the Population Register from „Skatteetaten“ (not older than 2 months) – original + 1 copy
  • Completed form signed by your employer: Declaration of employment (in German)
  • Proof of qualification: University qualification incl. transcript of grades/mark sheets (all pages), with certified German translation, if not in English. In addition, the document may have to be legalized/authenticated (legalization/Hague Apostille) by the German mission in or the competent office of the issuing country. You can find more information on the website of the competent German mission in the country where the document was issued. – original + 1 copy.
  • Proof of recognition of the qualification:
    -> Printout from the anabin database on the qualification and on the institution

    If the qualification is not assessed as „entspricht“ (comparable) or „gleichwertig“ (equivalent) and/or the institution is not classified as „H+“:

    -> Statement of Comparability by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) (original with 1 copy)
  • In the case of regulated professions in which permission is required to exercise the profession, for example doctors, engineers:

    -> Permission to exercise a profession issued by the authority responsible for recognising qualifications or assurance of permission to exercise a profession (original and 1 copy) (for example, for medical professions: decision of the licensing authority in the federal territory, i.e. assurance of permission to exercise a profession and/or issuing of medical licence)

    Here you can find a list of regulated professions in Germany. You can also ask for guidance at the Service Center for Professional Recognition.
  • Proof of housing in Germany incl. full address (e.g. rental agreement, hotel reservation or invitation letter in case of private accommodation with name, address and passport copy of the inviting person)
  • Proof of adequate health insurance cover
    If as an employee you are subject to statutory health insurance, you must bear in mind that this insurance can only go into effect when you take up residence in Germany and enter into employment. If you enter Germany before, an additional private health insurance must be purchased for the duration of time until you begin your employment and are covered through the statutory health insurance. Standard travel health insurances usually exclude protection in countries where a long-term or permanent stay is planned. Please ensure that your travel health insurance does not exclude such protection. We recommend checking the conditions of so-called incoming travel insurances.

The fee of 75 € is payable by Visa/Mastercard in €.

Important information:

Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.
The embassy reserves the right to request further documents.

The processing time is as a rule ca. 2 weeks, but can take longer in individual cases.

Please do not contact the embassy to check the status of your application during the normal processing period.

nach oben