Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

Research Visa (Section 18d Residence Act)

12.02.2024 - Artikel

Researchers are third-country nationals who

  1. have a doctoral degree or a suitable university degree that allows access to doctorate programs and
  2. have been selected by a research institute and are allowed in the national territory of a member state
  3. in order to engage in research for which such a qualification is normally required.

Note: This includes doctorate students unless they are enrolled at a German university to complete a full-time study program leading to a doctoral degree as their primary activity.

Required documents:

Please make sure to prepare a complete set of the following documents (collated in the order as listed below with a legible, unstapled copy in DinA4 format) to submit during your appointment:

  • Fully completed and signed application including declaration pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act
  • 2 recent biometric passport photos (see specimen photos)
  • Valid and personally signed passport with at least two completely empty pages
  • 1 uncertified copy of the data page of your valid passport
  • Norwegian residence permit (card) - original + 1 copy (front and back)
  • Proof of address in Norway: Printout from the Population Register from „Skatteetaten“ (not older than 2 months) – original + 1 copy
  • Signed Hosting agreement or relevant contract with a German research institute (original + 1 copy) The Hosting agreement/relevant contract needs to contain certain information. You can find a specimen here: Hosting agreement § 18d AufenthG
  • Proof of qualification: Proof of doctoral degree or university degree that allows access to doctorate program (all pages) (with certified German translation) – original + 1 copy Diplomas issued in English do not need to be translated into German.
  • Written commitment of the research institution to cover costs emerging for public authorities up to 6 months after the end of the hosting agreement – original + 1 copy (this is not required if the work of the research institute is primarily public funded or if there is a specific public interest)
  • Proof of adequate financial means:
    You must prove that you dispose of minimum 1.027 EUR per month. Proof can be provided by the hosting agreement/contract. If a contract of employment is planned, proof of the statutory minimum wage of 12 EUR/h must be provided. When submitting the application, proof of financial means for the entire stay has to be provided. – original + 1 copy
    Financial proof via blocked account: please open the blocked account before submitting your visa application. You need to submit the official notice of the bank naming the total amount paid and the monthly available amount. – original + 1 copy
  • Proof of adequate health insurance cover – original + 1 copy
    If as an employee you are subject to statutory health insurance, you must bear in mind that this insurance can only go into effect when you take up residence in Germany and enter into employment. If you enter Germany before, an additional private health insurance must be purchased for the duration of time until you begin your employment and are covered through the statutory health insurance. Standard travel health insurances usually exclude protection in countries where a long-term or permanent stay is planned. Please ensure that your travel health insurance does not exclude such protection. We recommend checking the conditions of so-called incoming travel insurances.

Additional information:

Missing documentation delays the procedure and can result in your application being rejected.

The embassy reserves the right to request further documents. Certificates, diplomas, etc. must be presented in the original with apostille/legalization.

Documents not in the German or English language must be submitted with a certified German translation.

The processing time is as a rule ca. 2 - 6 weeks, but can take longer in individual cases.

Please do not contact the embassy to check the status of your application during the normal processing period. Such inquiries are extremely time-consuming for the visa section and can thus not be answered.

nach oben